Drug & Alcohol Misuse
Why have a Drug & Alcohol Policy?
The benefits of having a robust drug and alcohol policy are numerous and include:
- Actively executing your duty of care in line with Health and Safety at Work Act 1974/1999 particularly for drivers, machine operators and dangerous environments
- Helping to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of employees and the public
- Improving working relationships, attendance and productivity
- Clearly communicating company expectations
- A drug and alcohol testing programme within your workplace will help enforce the principles of your substance misuse policy and to monitor employee compliance to policy rules.
- Improving your company reputation (compliance with customer policies)
Screening is an Essential Part of Any Policy
A drug and alcohol testing programme within your workplace will help enforce the principles of your substance misuse policy and to monitor employee compliance to policy rules. Testing brings many benefits including:
- An effective deterrent against misuse
- Provision of a definitive answer in the form of a test result following suspicion of misuse
- An on-going reminder to employees that substance misuse is unacceptable
- On-going monitoring of employee compliance with policy rules
There are a series of screening options available to you. These include:
- Pre-employment screening, this can be incorporated into a medical or stand-alone and used to identify potential problems with employees.
- Whole workforce or random screening, this is used to test staff members who may work in a safety critical position or anyone driving plant machinery.
- Emergency Callout. We have partners who will respond with 24 hours.